THE STORY OF SODOM’S destruction began with Yahweh Himself descending to earth with two angels to investigate what was happening in the vales of Siddim. In speaking with His servant Abraham, the LORD, “the Judge of all the earth” (Gen 18:25) said “Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous: I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know” (Gen 18:20). He would not destroy the cities if there were at least 10 righteous people in them.
The account continues in Genesis 19 as follows:
- Two holy angels entered Sodom that evening to spend the night in the streets to investigate the grievous sin.
- Lot, fearing for their safety, convinced them to stay at his house until the next morning.
- Before “they lay down, the men of Sodom compassed the house round, both old and young, all the people of every quarter” demanding that Lot “bring them out unto us that we may know them” Verses 4 & 5. To “know them” meant to have sexual intercourse with them, as a man would do with his wife (Gen 4:1). A man having sex with another man is wrong and is condemned by God as an abomination (Lev 18:22). These little boys and men wanted to bugger these angels, and to do so with force.
- This unnatural behaviour was a practice among ALL the people in that city, except for Lot’s immediate family who did not add up to ten persons.
- Lot pleaded with them not to do so “wickedly” to his guests, then foolishly offered them his daughters to have sexual pleasure. The Sodomites were so bent on getting sexual pleasure with the guest whom they thought were men, that they accused Lot of wanting to be their “Judge”. “Now will we do worst with thee than with them” they said as they “pressed sore upon the man, even Lot, and came near to break the door” (Verses 7 – 9)
- The angels miraculously snatched Lot, pulled him into the house and shut the door. Then “they smote the men that were at the door of the house with blindness, both small and great”. Instead of turning away in shame and terror, these men and boys “wearied themselves to find the door” (verses 10 & 11). They were bent even with blindness to break into Lots house and take the guest to bugger them and to do so violently (rape).
- That evil of Sodomy was enough for the angels to command Lot to escape the city immediately with his family as it was about to be destroyed. “We will destroy this place, because the cry of them is waxen great before the face of the LORD: and the LORD hath sent us to destroy it” (verse 13)
- Yahweh then in His hot wrath, “rained upon Sodom and Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the LORD out of heaven; and he overthrew those cities, and all the plain, and all the inhabitants of the cities, and that which grew upon the ground” (verses 24 & 25).
The bible tells us that this utter destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities because of the sins of sexual perversions is “set forth for an example” to be visibly seen by all those “that after should live ungodly”(Jude 7, 2 Peter 2:6). God’s hot wrath against the evil practices of these cities has left its mark on the plains of Jordon surrounding the Dead Sea in the Middle East. Ashes still cover the areas today where these cities (Zeboim, Admah, Sodom, Gomorrah, and Zoar) once stood, “the whole land thereof is brimstone, and salt, and burning, that it is not sown, nor beareth, nor any grass growth therein..” (Duet 29:22-24).
God saw it as good to wipe these cities out, because of the abominations they practiced in their pride and idleness (Eze 16:49,50). He has not changed his view about Sodomy and has left a strong warning of His wrath against the gay/homosexual “pride” behaviour. The ruins of Sodom and Gomorrah today tell the story of a God who hates Sodomy. It is for you to repent, and be converted from these perverted values and allow the truth of Jesus Christ to govern your passions in all holiness. Amen.